Saturday, September 22, 2007

An Apple A Day

Addie has been very excited about picking apples and making applesauce. Everyday I get asked the question "Is today the day we pick apples to make the yummy applesauce?". Well, yesterday was the day for a mini trial run. After I picked her up from school we went straight to a local orchard for some apple picking fun. After playing at the playground and checking out all the fun farm animals we finally make it back the gravel lane to the apple trees.


She had a good time picking apples. Most where not low enough for her so I put her on my shoulders to pick them. That only lasted about 3 apples before she decided that it made her to nervous. Then she became my apple runner. I'd pick them and she would run them back to the wagon dodging the fallen apples on the ground.

We ended up with 1 bushel of apples to experiment with in the kitchen. When we got home Addie could not wait to start in on the applesauce. It could not wait until this weekend. Of course it was not to hard to talk me into it since I had a dinning room table full of apples and fresh veggies we just picked up from the farmers market. We made two test batches. Batch one was 100% Mutsu apples. The second one was 2 parts Mutsu, 2 parts MacIntosh, to 1 part Gala. The second one was the winner of the taste test once I added a tiny amount of sugar to it. Michael liked it without the sugar but Addie needed a little more sweetness. Even though we found a winner I'm going to try some different apple combinations until I find a good mix of apples that doesn't need sugar added.

No comments: