Monday, January 7, 2008

Saintly Lessons

It's amazing how realivent and insightful someone's thoughts could be who died in 379AD. Today during Mass Fr. Bill quoted St. Basil the Great.

Here is the quote:
“The bread which you do not use is the bread of the hungry; the garment hanging in your wardrobe is the garment of him who is naked; the shoes that you do not wear are the shoes of the one who is barefoot; the money that you keep locked away is the money of the poor; the acts of charity that you do not perform are so many injustices that you commit.”

The quote really struck a cord with both Michael and I. It even made me want to do more research on St. Basil. I was amazed by what an extraordinary person he was. I will not go into the details here on the blog but I could not help but share the quote since it was so moving to us. I hope that you find him as fascinating as we did.

For more info on St. Basil the Great follow the link below or just Google him!
http://www.americancatholic.org/features/saintofday/default.asp?id=1248

No comments: